Friday, September 29, 2006
Pink Silk is DONE!

Do you remember thsi lot of pink and brown silk caps that I prepeared nearly a year ago?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Well... it's finally all spun and plied. I even wound it into a centre-pull ball, and it's a BIG ball. The camera case is in the picture for comparison.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's prettier than I expected, but I am so so so sick of it. I don't think I can bear to knit it now. It will just have to sit in the stash for a little while. I geuss it's a good thing that I am pregnant and can't knit anything for myself right now anyway since I don't know what my post-delivery size will be.

The plan is to knit it into one of these. I think the gauge will be just right and the pink/white/brown variations in the silk will be nice in the simple mostly stocking stitch pattern.

Here's a close up of the silk:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As you can see, it's not perfectly even, but that was deliberate. No, really, it was. I wanted a slightly slubby yarn, which is why I used silk caps.Otherwise I would have used silk top and that would have produced a far more even yarn.

What else do I have on the needles?

Oh yes, take a look at this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Doesn't it look like a weird alien landscape? It's actually a scarf I have started this evening. Remember how I said the merino slubby yarn I have dyed is too soft and irresistable? Yeah, well, it was definitely irresistable. I decided to knit a scarf out of one of the skeins.It's a beautiful feeling. It's so soft and springy. I haven't decided whether I will keep it for myself yet. It's not exactly scarf-wearing weather here anymore. The days are getting warmer and it will be a while before I get to wear scarves again.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The picture does not show an accurate depiction of the colours of the yarn. It's a mixture of greens, browns and white and knitted in seed stitch. Just 15 stitches across - knit 1, purl 1, knit 1, purl 1, etc etc. You get the idea. It's easy!

The baby blanket isn't really happening. I am up to 28 inches in diameter and as the rounds get bigger and bigger, and the yarn gets stinkier and stinkier, I get more sick of it. I just can;t wait to finish the blanket now. I want to finish it before I cometoa complete standstill.

It's a long weekend this weekend. I have Monday off as it's Labour Day here. I am looking forward to a slow leisurely weekend, starting with a yum cha* brunch tomorrow. I am all smiles!

* yum cha is what we call dim sum here in Sydney
Comments:
Oh, wow. Wow, wow, wow! That is so pretty. A tank in that would be gorgeous. I love the look of your scarf, too. I need a spinning lesson. I can't seem to figure out the darn spindle. :(
 
i want some yum cha!! the baby blanket is so close to done... maybe your DH will finish it. :)
 
nice job on the silk, i love it. I was tempted to spin some silk caps today, but decided against it when it kept sticking to every little dry bit of skin on my fingers...
 
I was with you when you dyed those! It seems so long ago. Spun, it looks simply fabulous.

I have done very little spinning since last year - Although I've been knitting a bit (which I faithfully promise to blog, soon), I've found that I haven't wanted to be inside while the summer weather was good. You make the most of the weather while you can here. So now that Autumn has come, I pulled out that suri alpaca I had so much trouble with last night and started carding it. Spinning, very soon. This week I think, now that autumn has come.

I've also got myself a 4-shaft floor weaving loom and will be weaving soon too. But I think that one of the reasons I've been so unmotivated this year is because I really miss having you guys to share with....

Also, congratulations on the baby!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Join List Previous Next


Join List Previous Next

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click for Sydney, New South Wales Forecast

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

home   |   things i am selling on eBay   |   my recipes   |   my patterns

(C) 2004 Celia Ng and Chris Hernandez. All rights reserved.
This page designed by Chris Hernandez. Many thanks to Amy at www.IndiGirl.com for the original Project Progress Tracker.
No electrons were harmed in the production of this webpage.