I spun up the rest of my hand dyed merino top and here it is:
That was the skein that I plied using two ends. I had misjudged the amount of wool I had spun on each bobbin and one bobbin had more than the other. So I was left with a small amount of wool on one bobbin only. I thought to myself, "What better time to learn Navajo plying!", and so I did. This is the result:
I didn't think it came out too badly. I had too much twist in it when I was plying, so I soaked it and let it dry to set the twist. It set ok, and I quite like it. I certainly need more practice with Navajo plying. I think I like it. It significantly reduces the 'barber-pole' effect, but it's harder to control I think. It is a lot less mindless to do.
I was thinking of turning the larger skein into this
. I think the variegated colours will look good on this scarf, a little less boring, you know. However, I only have about 75 metres. I am not sure thatw ill be enough. I may end up with half a scarf!
On the weekend, I also plied the rest of the wool I had spun earlier and put it through a Kool-aid bath. The colour came out blotchy, but that's ok, as I did not want it to be even anyway. I mas thinking of turning this lot of yarn into a bucket hat. Maybe a felted one.
Not sure that I have enough, though. Maybe a small scarf.
On the sock front, I am testing my pattern using the second sock. I have found errors already - sorry testers! I hope that it will be ready soon. It knits up quite quickly - more holes than yarn I think! The next time I do it, I will probably knit it in a plain colour or a variegated yarn that's not so 'busy'.