Thursday, July 28, 2011
A mountain of biscuits

Okay, so if you're American, you'd call them cookies, but here we call them biscuits. At least in this house we do, aside from when they are being eaten by the Cookie Monster, according to Alex.

One of the blogs I read is Frills In the Hills and a couple of years ago, she posted about a biscuit recipe she had tried with her children. It makes a whopping 120 biscuits, but she had made larger ones and managed to get about 60 out of the recipe.

I don't know whether I have mentioned it before, but the preschool that Alex attends is nut-free, egg-free and seafood-free. Sure makes making lunches difficult. It also makes it hard for me to bake things for the teachers. So here's where this recipe came in. It's egg-free! Usually I just make shortbread for the teachers as that is egg-free but now I have another recipe that is egg-free and I wanted to try it.

I made the recipe with all 5 cups of self raising flour. I didn't want 120 tiny biscuits so I made what I thought were large ones, thinking I would end up with about 60 or so biscuits. A manageable number. However, oh no.. 95 biscuits later...



I split the dough into 1 separate batches and flavoured them separately:
1. I rolled 1 match into little balls and used the back of a knife to press a hole into each ball. I filled the holes with lightly warmed raspberry jam
2. I added 1 tablespoon of cocoa and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter into this batch and mixed well. I then rolled into balls and pressed them out lightly with a fork. Obviously this batch is not intended for school!
3. I rolled this batch into little balls and pressed a smartie into each one. The leftover dough when I ran out of smarties was simply rolled into balls, pressed lightly and sprinkled with cinnamon.

For those of you needing to send your creations to a nut-free school, bake your nut ones last so that you're not baking the nut-free ones on contaminated trays.

They were surprisingly delicious. Next time I make them, I'll be making a batch with shredded coconut and raisins, I think, and maybe another with chocolate chips.

Labels: , ,


Join List Previous Next


Join List Previous Next

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click for Sydney, New South Wales Forecast

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

home   |   things i am selling on eBay   |   my recipes   |   my patterns

(C) 2004 Celia Ng and Chris Hernandez. All rights reserved.
This page designed by Chris Hernandez. Many thanks to Amy at www.IndiGirl.com for the original Project Progress Tracker.
No electrons were harmed in the production of this webpage.