Saturday, December 20, 2008
Which lot of wool was mine?

Some people asked which of that massive pile of wool was mine since they could not see much aside from a huge mess of colours. I bought 2 skeins of each of these:


I haven't worked out what to do with them yet, but I thought I would use two matching skeins for a Clapotis. I love the elegant simplicity of the pattern but am afraid that the vast amount of stocking stitch would drive me insane.

What else have I been up to?

I bought 100g of some Pear Tree Merino from a friend on Ravelry and then discovered that it was really 50g of 12ply and 50g of 8ply. What can I do with two small skeins of yarn in the same colourway? Hats of course!



With the 8ply, I made a small baby/toddler hat.



With the remaining 8ply I knitted up the ribbing for an adult hat and then used the 12ply to knit the rest of the hat in a 6x1 rib. It has plenty of sideways stretch and is nice and soft, as you can imagine seeing as it is Pear Tree Merino.

I like the softness of the wool, though I must say it intrigued me to find that the twist and thickness of the wool was so uneven. After all it was a mill-spun wool, not handspun. Some of the 8ply felt more like 4ply and overall, it knitted more like a 6ply.

After all that, I realised that I'd probably never wear the hat as I have not been wearing hats for the past two winters. I put both up for sale in my store. I like the idea of selling the two together, as a cute (kitsch?) parent/child set.

Thank you, HL, for the lovely Christmas pressie that arrived this week



It is a skein of Fiesta Yarns' La Boheme, in the "Australia" colourway. I am interested to see how it will knit up.

Lots more photos to share and works in progress, but that's a post for another day when I don't have a toddler tugging at my pants and trying to push the screen of the laptop down. "Close close close close.." I am hearing in my left ear...

Labels: ,


Join List Previous Next


Join List Previous Next

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click for Sydney, New South Wales Forecast

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

home   |   things i am selling on eBay   |   my recipes   |   my patterns

(C) 2004 Celia Ng and Chris Hernandez. All rights reserved.
This page designed by Chris Hernandez. Many thanks to Amy at www.IndiGirl.com for the original Project Progress Tracker.
No electrons were harmed in the production of this webpage.